Boot Camp for Incoming Public Policy Graduate Students
The 2022 Economics and Math Preparatory 'Boot Camp' for incoming Public Policy Graduate Students will be held on Monday, September 12 until Friday, September 23rd.
Math Boot Camp will be in week one: September 12 - 16. Econ Boot Camp will be in week two: September 19-23. The instructor will send more a detailed syllabus in late August. Student should plan to watch pre-recorded videos in advance and attend afternoon sessions to work on problems from 1:00-5:00 p.m.
The course will review/introduce students to mathematic and economic concepts that will be encountered frequently in first year MPP and MA core graduate courses.
All incoming Public Policy graduate students are strongly encouraged to attend.
Topics covered may include the following:
- Math basics: Functions, Notation and Logic
- Single Variable Calculus: derivatives (rules), integrals, and applications
- Optimization: Constrained and Unconstrained
- Graphs: Area and basic geometry
- Algebra: Systems of equations, linear independence, exponential and logarithmic functions
- Multivariable Calculus: total and partial derivatives, higher order derivatives, chain rule and applications
- Probability Theory I: events, random variables, distributions
- Probability Theory II: expectation, variance, correlation, conditional probability
- Consumer Theory I: Choice functions, preferences and indifference curves, utility
- Consumer Theory II: The Consumer's Problem and utility maximization
- Theory of the Firm: Profit Maximization
- Types of Markets: Competitive, Monopoly, Oligopoly
- Price Discrimination